Nowadays, a leprechaun could bounce through the typical corporate office, and it wouldn’t feel out of place. (And no one would be there to see it happen, anyway.)

Sepire is fortunate – our operations (machines, workflows, facilities, etc.) were designed with remote functionality in mind.

Moving operations to an entirely digital, work from home scenario has thrust other companies into unchartered territory. It’s far from a new concept. Many corporations have the technology and infrastructure to support out-of-office connectivity – at least for a portion of their employee base.

But an entire organization…for months (a year?!) on end? That’s a different story.

In March, an Owl Labs survey determined that 66% of respondents believed their company was somewhat to very prepared for all employees to work from home – leaving 34% of people that didn’t think their company was prepared. Surely, the scale has shifted in the former’s direction, considering the mass office exodus that’s taken place since.

It’s not that crazy to think many businesses could transition to predominantly remote operations when you consider (a) they’ve managed to make it work for the last two or three months and (b) the benefits, such as productivity and employee retention.

It’s a question of longevity at this point. Are companies prepared for a permanent, full-scale shift to remote work? Are they ready to overcome the challenges that accompany a “digital” office?

What are the common challenges of remote work?

Implementing remote functionality across all levels of an organization introduces a diverse set of challenges, but we’ll consolidate them into two categories:

  1. Technology challenges
  2. People challenges

Remote work isn’t feasible if a company either doesn’t have (or isn’t willing to invest in) the necessary technology, such as…

  • A virtual private network (VPN)
  • Data backup and recovery
  • Network security and malware protection
  • Collaboration tools and interfaces (e.g. Teams, GoToMeeting, Zoom)
  • Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)

For companies with larger workforces, cloud-based systems might be necessary too. Together, these technologies create the foundation for remote work.

But the hurdles don’t stop there.

People, especially those who are less experienced with working from home, have to navigate and adjust to the challenges of this new environment, such as…

  • Lack of direction and structure
  • Increased periods of Isolation
  • At-home distractions (e.g. housework, children)

Companies have to account for these interpersonal challenges as well. Daily check-ins with employees can help with guidance and focus. Despite being a little more awkward, remote “happy hours” have popped up as substitutes for the real thing.

Even unconventional tactics, like mandated time off, could be useful. Google recently gave employees a surprise day off to recharge their batteries.

Working remotely has its perks, but it’s much harder to flip the switch from “work” to “life.” Mandating time away from work acknowledges your employees and helps them maintain balance.

How does Sepire alleviate the challenges of remote work?

Even before we had to navigate widespread social restrictions, Sepire’s CompliChain technology platform provided clients with secure communications solutions with remote accessibility.

The CompliChain dashboard enables users to create and collaborate on critical communication and compliance projects directly through Sepire’s internal Job Manager application. Users can monitor and manage workflows and receive real-time production performance and analytics.

Our customers can rest easy knowing our facilities are up and running, and that their secure communications are being fulfilled.

If your company’s communications workflow has been impacted by the pandemic, we’re here to help you navigate this challenging environment.